Weightless Chocolate Drizzled Meringue Cookies
This is a super easy cookie recipe for not just Gluten Free’ers but for anyone. All it takes is a few ingredients and a dash of patience.
- 4 separated egg whites at room temperature
- 3/4 cup of super fine sugar
- 1 tsp cream of tarter
- 1 large chocolate bar of your choice (I chose a milk chocolate bar)
- When you separate your eggs, make sure there is no yolk present. If your eggs are cold, let them sits on the counter for about 30 min to get to room temperature.
- Make sure the bowl and whisk you use are very clean and dry. Any oil residue will result in less than fluffy egg-whites.
Putting it all together
- Beat your egg-whites until frothy
- Add cream of tartar and whisk until very soft peaks
- Gradually add sugar 1/4 cup at a time (you can increase or decrease the sugar to your taste, just stop and taste the batter as you add the sugar)
- Continue whisking until very stiff. (If you can turn the bowl upside-down and the meringue stays put, you are done)
- On a prepared cookie sheet (non-stick sheet or a cookie sheet with parchment paper on it) spoon or pipe your batter into 1-2 inch mounds. If you do not have a pastry bag, you can use a ziplock bag and cut the tip of the bag to pipe the meringue onto the sheet in a circular motion.
- In a 200 degree oven, place your cookie sheet(s) into the oven on the middle rack. Let cook for 2 – 2 1/2 hours. Check the meringues after 90 min. If they are browning, your temperature is too high. They need to cook on a low heat to keep them the bright white color.
- After they are done, turn off the oven and let the meringues remain in the oven for an addition 3 hours – overnight in order to completely dry out.
After meringues have been dried out(they should be light as a feather and crispy all the way through), melt your chocolate and drizzle it onto your meringues.
Enjoy with ice cream, tea, or on their own. For a bit more fun, pipe the meringue into a shallow bowl shape before baking to use it as a vessel for sorbet or your favorite fruit salad.